Monday 8 September 2008

Torchwood Series 2 Episode 7 - Dead Man Walking

After the highs of last week, we are once again brought back to earth with a big bump. After instigating the perfect exit for Owen, they had to spoil it by bringing him back to life.

But he isn’t alive, he’s dead but yet he’s walking about. Oooh this is confusing! Fair play to the director, Andy Goodard, for trying his best but he was let down by the pen of Matt Jones. It was a story that wasn’t needed and would have been better if they just cried over Owen for 45 minutes.

So with Owen dead, the team struggle to find out what’s going on. He can’t eat, drink or shag anything, not even Jack! It’s all very sad, the obligatory scary little girl pops up, Owen becomes the ‘King of the Weevils’ (which hasn’t got anything to do with his Weevil bite from series 1 – maybe!) then he fights the Grim Reaper. If this wasn’t shot in live action, I swear it’s a cartoon!

The acting, at times, is the programmes saving grace. Despite working with a ridiculous plot, Burn Gorman was terrific as the very unlikeable Owen and really deserves better than starring in this and a few episodes of Eastenders! Another aspect I do love about this story was the music, once again – take a bow Mr Murray Gold and his team!

It is really disappointing when they pull off a story like ‘Reset’ but follow it up with a very poor ‘sequel’. Don’t forget Martha was in this story too, although you wouldn’t have guessed. If there was an Olympic event for learning everything medical within a year, she would win platinum, never mind gold! Again, its one of many plot holes that I’m simply pissed off with and sick of ranting about it. She looks quite fit when she ‘aged’ though!

I’ve been asked ‘Why do I watch Torchwood, if I hate it?’ I don’t hate it, the writers are capable of pulling off some very good stories, and it’s a shame they have to fill the rest of the series with pointless, plot-dragging stories like this. Hope it gets better!

5/10

Next Week: Will Owen die? Will Jack have his wicked way with Martha? I don’t give a toss either way!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

**chuckle** I agree with you that Burn is pretty much the saving grace for this ep (heck, even for most of both seasons). Even when his character is being a bastard, he's good. He's a fantastic actor who sadly has not been given the real chance to be the lead in a show and really show what he can do.

-Miss Tami
Webmistress at www.burn-gorman.com

CyberColin said...

Thanks for your comment, I grew to like Burn's charcter more in this series. His story in 'Fragments' is very heartbreaking and explains a lot. It's a shame he couldn't be given more to work with!

Anonymous said...

The entire second series had me crying because of Owen. And "Fragments" allowed me to look at my online friends and go "I told you so", it proved there was a reason he was such a bastard most of the time. I just wish they had explored the "mom" issues further than what we heard in "Adam". Theres a deleted scene, I think from either ep 7 or 8, where he's on the phone with his mum and its not a happy discussion.